Saturday 1 November 2014

Narrative/Memory installation progress

After the complication of having to work on three panels as opposed to a whole wall, I have now come to the conclusion that it may have been a better solution. I have been able to move the boards around while drawing and writing so that I can access the space from all angles - this would have been very problematic if I was working on a still surface such as a wall. 

Before I worked directly onto the boards, I decided to make a plan using my sketches from my sketchbook and PhotoShop. The initial intention was to use my sketchbook only as a way of documenting my memories in an alternative note form, however I ended up liking the appearance of the pages so I scanned them into PhotoShop (PS), and laid each scene out onto a scaled down canvas page on PS. Doing this allowed me to play around with composition, negative space and layout. I came up with three possible layout ideas, and I used the preference of others to help me to chose my final design. I asked others as sometimes, I find you can be too close to your work to make appropriate decisions as other factors may contribute and cause you to be biased against a particular design, which may not have been the better option, such as time consumption.  

Once I was happy with my 'final' design, I then used a light F pencil to gently sketch out my design to scale on the boards. I did end up tweaking the design as working so large, I wanted to make sure that the scale of elements were appropriate to the overall appearance and significants. After making adjustments, I then began to darken my sketches using permanent markers - thankfully the size of the pen was perfect as I was able to tilt the pen to create thick lines, or hold the pen at a 90degrees for a thinner line. 

So far I am happy with how the design is coming to life, however due to tweaking in the previous stage, I now have some unintentional negative space. I am thinking of filling this space with photographic memories, detailed drawings and alternative medias in order to add textures, a range of mediums and to manipulate the spectators attention.

An issue which I have encountered, is that I am unable to erase the initial sketch marks on the board, as the eraser alters the texture of the board, making the path of the eraser obvious in certain light. Also, I had hoped to use different pen sizes in order to create different sized text and to noticeably alternate thickness of lines, however my Uni Pin fine liners did not absorb into the board, causing the ink to sit on top of the surface and not dry. Luckily, as I previously mentioned, my permanent markers were able to create different thicknesses by successfully using pressure, angle and and speed. 


Where I was going to have the design feeding across all three boards as one, I changed my mind and treated each of the three panels as separate, but relating sections (like siblings as opposed to one). I chose to do this, as it means that my design can be seperated and still make sense on their own, and to also symbolise the stages of my life that I have progressed through and the memories from those stages: early childhood memories, early teens, late teens/entering adulthood.

So far, I feel like this is progressing well, and I will be happy with the final outcome despite the problems and complications.