Friday 7 November 2014

Narration & Memory: Evaluation



For the following theme: Narration/Memory, I took it upon myself to create an installation piece in the style of Dan Perjovschi in order to depict how memories can deteriorate as we age and also that as we mature, we as humans have more reservations and cautiousness about the world, and thus are limited to what recent experiences we share.  
Where as we are more distant to our childhood memories, we can find them less personal - almost as though we are talking in third person about someone else, and less about ourselves; hence why I used third person ‘Once upon a time... there was a girl... called Sophia’ as the main text. I also used two points of narration throughout my installation. There’s childhood-Sophia, and the present day Sophia. In order to reflect ‘childhood-Sophia’, I used inspiration from old drawings and notes that I created as a child, in order to recreate childhood-Sophia’s drawings and writing style to emphasise the age and narrate the memory; while present day Sophia has been depicted through my present handwriting, mature views of old memories and through the materials used. I used black permanent markers on white hardboards in order to create a sophisticated and clean appearance, that still reflected myself as a child as I used to love to draw with felt-pens.  

I used Episodic theatrical narration to influence my style of story-telling. This was inspired by multiple Epic plays which I have spectated. Epic theatre uses scenes/episodes which may have large periods on time in-between, therefore Episodic (Epic) plays can occur over years as opposed to hours and do not have to be corresponding - I chose this narration style as my memories are little ‘episodes’ of my life that I can remember, have years in-between them and are scattered around, and not in order.  
 I had initially planned to create my installation on a large 4m x 2m wall, however while painting the wall, the existing layer of paint peeled and flaked, which left an unsuitable surface to work on, as I wanted a clean surface like Perjovschi’s work, I also wanted to communicate a sense of sophistication and maturity to contrast the ‘simplistic’, child-like drawings. I resulted in using 3x white hardboards as my base. Despite my reservations, I’m glad that this happened as the three panels were easier to work with, can be relocated, reflect the Episodic structure by dividing the boards into three sections and also depict my stages of life that I have communicated (childhood, young-teen, late-teen). 
 I no longer mind the fact that some pencil sketch marks remain on the board. I think this adds a discrete touch of imperfections, which is a present factor in life and thus, memories.  
If I had more time, I would have liked to create my installation on all walls surrounding a room, as then I would be able to communicate more memories and also involve spectators by getting them to illustrate their memories onto the walls, just like people did on my trip to Casa Di Guillietta in Verona, Italy.