Tuesday 28 October 2014

Narrative/Memory update

So Sunday afternoon I began painting the wall white
for my installation piece. My intention was to use a 4m x 2m wall in my carport which is a plastered, brick wall for the location of my installation in the style of Dan Perjovschi.
However upon preparing the wall as the base of my artwork, I encountered some problems; to begin with, (due to my budget) I used some white interior paint which I had stored in my shed. The issue with this, was that as the paint is intended for interior use, and I had obviously began to use it on an exterior wall - I didn't think this would be a problem as the installation would have been temporary anyway, so after creating the work, I would have been re-painting over what I had done, with the correct paint roughly a week later. However, to my surprise the affects of using the interior paint on an exterior wall was instant! The initial layer of paint which I was painting on top of in order to clean up to create a bright, white, actually began to flake and peel (the same effect a steamer has on wallpaper!). This was obviously pretty messy and caused the paint flakes to attach onto my paint roller and then transfer over the next area I was painting - not to mention the mess that remained where the paint had flaked off!

As an alternative to painting on the wall (which posed other complications such as the edges being difficult to reach and perfect, even with an extendable paint roller and also paint splashing back even if I reduce the amount of paint put on the roller and reduce my speed), I decided to use boards as an alternative to walls. This way they can also be stored and I can keep the work. First I looked at purchasing MDF boards so that I can paint my white base onto them and found some competitive options:
The first and cheapest being at the UAL eStore (LCC 3D workshop).
I was considering the "3mm - Full sheet 2440mm x 1220mm" option at £12.
The second option was from B&Q: Metsäwood MDF Board (L)2.44m (W)1.22m (T)12mm at £18.

I was considering purchasing one or two of the full sheet MDF boards from the UAL eStore, however I would have had complications with transporting the boards home, thus I would have to work on my project at the UAL LCC campus which would exceed my budget as it would mean that I would have to pay £12 everyday to travel into the university. I ended up taking a trip to B&Q to view the board options for myself, and then if non of them were suitable, I would resort to using the MDF from UAL.

Upon browsing through the satisfying collection of boards at B&Q, I came across a white coated board priced at a little over £5. As these were smaller in size, I purchased 3 panels. I decided to go with this option as the board was already coated in white, thus I wouldn't have to paint the board and possibly deal with the problems of an uneven surface, at least this way my surface will be perfectly smooth! This also means that the white is even and perfectly opaque and will create a much nicer contrast when I use my black marker pens which I purchased a pack of four for £1 from The Range.

I am a little bit disappointed as I would have liked to work on a seamless surface as opposed to three panels, however the smooth, brilliantly white surface makes up for that. I will now begin to draw my designs in the style of children's drawings onto the boards, in order to complete my piece!