Wednesday 19 November 2014

Kick It Out!

Designed by Sophia Sargeant. Inspired by Hannah
Wilke, Shirin Neshat, Don McCullin and poet, 
Margret Atwood.
Kick It Out campaign has asked us to raise awareness of the negative effects of discrimination through provoking images. In order to do this, I have began by researching the world of discrimination through artists, designers, authors, films, books, politics etc. Discrimination includes, sexism, homophobia (I dislike the use of the word homo-'phobia', as how can you be truly terrified of someones personal sexuality?),  racism through ethnicity and culture,  ageism, predujice against someone with disabilities, against visual appearance including tattoos and piercings, etc.

The artists that I have taken a particular interest in during this topic are:
Allen Jones - as his work is very controversial and provokes argument and questions,
Don McCullin, due to the empathetic high-contrast, greyscale photography,
Guerrilla Girls, for their straight-to-the-point views on discrimination using facts, often use of humour and shocking statistics,
Guler Ates, by addressing gender, faith, identity and culture,
Shirin Neshat, who created a series of works entitled 'Women of Allah' to narrate women's roles during the Iranian Islamic Revolution of 1979,
Yinka Shonibare, for his exploration of race and class, and also his use of mannequins,
Nikki S Lee, in response to her unique approach upon identity,
Hannah Wilke, due to her Starification series which tackles feminism, and how women are used.

"Table", Allen Jones, 1969.


I have also referenced Noughts and Crosses, a fictional dystopia book series by Malorie Blackman.
The novels describe an alternative society where the 'African people gained a technological and organization advantage over the Europeans'. Certain racial issues are brought forward which are usually overlooked in real-life, for example the colours of plasters, ' "That plaster's a bit noticeable." "They don't sell pink plasters. Only dark brown ones." '. Derogatory terms are also used throughout the novels, 'Blankers' and 'Daggers'.

United Nation's campaign, HeForShe is also a fundamental part of my research. Upon watching Emma Watson's HeForShe speech regarding the dreaded 'F' word, feminism, I couldn't help but applaud and absorb all of the information. Watson highlighted the equal rights behind the feminist belief, and also inviteed men to fight for equal rights too, "Men - I would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation. Gender equality is your issue too."



So far, I have visited the Imperial War Museum in London, in order to gather information about discrimination and war (most famously, the holocaust). Poets such as Margret Atwood and John Agard have also informed my research, along with films such as Lone Survivor (Marines vs. Taliban), Inglorious Bastards and Persepolis (an illustrated narrative about the Iranian Revolution).
From my visit to the Imperial War Museum, I also took note of the political art movement, Constructivism.

From here, I will begin to explore ways to communicate diversity against discrimination, using my artists and other references as inspiration. Once I have found the most appropriate media/method, I will then condense my idea and begin to develop my outcome(s).