Thursday 19 June 2014

Old English, Vintage Chic

 Following on from my earlier post regarding my inspiration triggered by 31 Rue Cambon (Chanel), I've now come across an interesting interior inspiration. Usually I'm not a fan of vintage, old England; with the intricate designs, crystal embellishments and old oak wood details - until recently. Every night when I should be sleeping, I waste hours on YouTube watching new uploads from my subscriptions. My favourite playlist at the moment is Mr.Kate: We bought a house. The weekly Sunday upload enables us to follow Kate and Joe's development in designing the interior of their new property. The reason why this is relevant to this post, is that Kate decided to go for the 'Vintage, old England; with the intricate designs, crystal embellishments and old oak wood details' for their living room - and I must say, I loved it. The juxtaposition works amazingly too, which I've noticed is a common concept for Kate. So this is where my arm was twisted and now I'm beginning to love the 'Vintage, old England' look. Furthermore I came across Rachel Ashwell, Shabby Chic and all I can say is WOW! I now want a large old, dark wooden book case in my room, with industrial lights on top to highlight the cloth hardback books, a chandelier in the centre of my room and gorgeous cream furniture with crystal elements and contrasting tatty accessories.  I even have a love for really reflective, old Jacobean checkerboard floor tiles - imagine all of this put together and the lights reflecting off of the floor; it would honestly look like a beautiful oil painting that you would see in Italy, only with English furniture and a hint of Parisian.
Throw some gothic, victorian interior in there too!

I now have a little bit of an obsession with this combination and want to design a whole interior - maybe that will be my next Art & Design destination? Only kidding, I know where I want to be with my career but that doesn't mean that my future home and studio will not be amazingly decorated! My mum is very much into home renovations (no idea why she didn't go into it as a career, the ideas that come out of her brain are surprisingly good - no offence mum, it is a compliment, I promise!). I think this may now be rubbing off on me, as I used to wince at the idea of watching all of the home renovating programmes which she could spend all day in front of, but now I'm finding myself analysing interiors and thinking of how I could make it 'more' - or 'less', depending on what suits.


Coco Chanel interior
 I don't yet know how I will respond to this, but I'm pretty inspired by the dark wood and silver/crystal combination. The idea of bringing something tatty and worn, to then pair it with something delicate and beautiful is appealing to me right now. I think this is definitely following on from this mornings Google stalk of 31 Rue Cambon, as the Coco Chanel interior is honestly breathtaking. If I ever have the opportunity, I would love to have a beautiful home (I've always wanted to live in Paris, hence why I studied French at Secondary School and A-Levels) with a large marble staircase at the entrance, with iron bar banisters; checkerboard floor for the kitchen with bright, green plants; a gorgeous dark wood library/study; brightly lit, Hollywood style, walk in wardrobe; a modern day bathroom with black and white glass and hints of marble and gold - you know what, I'm just going to leave it there. You can probably understand the sort of syle that I'm currently fantasying about, but I will not go into much more detail as knowing me, I'll change my mind tomorrow and want a house which is 100% modern and simplistic. Just enjoy these photographs for now.
Imagine this with industrial lights, candles, old cloth books and crystals!
Perfect space to create my A3 fashion illustrations... If I'm not using watercolour