Tuesday 9 January 2018

Container Principle

I live in a walking proximity to the Thames as I am based just outside of London, and the university campus is situated along the edge of the Gallions Point Marina. Usually, when thinking of the River Thames, the words disgusting, diseased and polluted come to mind (along with an image of very foul, dirty sewage water). However, to my surprise, after a little research, I discovered that the estuary is no longer biologically dead and actually contains species that are only present in non-polluted waters. The Thames is also the cleanest river that runs through a major city. 



This information fascinated me, and I furthered my research by exploring sea life that is present in the water. I was even more shocked to discover that aquatic mammals such as seals, dolphins and porpoises have been spotted throughout London. After acquiring this information, I asked a large number of people (who are local to the city) if they knew of any life present, and also their thoughts on the Thames. All of those who I asked assumed that no life other than eels and ‘undesirable’ fish roamed the stream, thus when they were then told about the surprisingly diverse discoveries in the Thames, they were shocked, and some in utter disbelief. 

I found it surprising that as locals, we know so little about our own city and surroundings, and as a result of this lack of knowledge, the area can often be abused with littering and fly tipping.
In response to this, I have proposed the design that a shipping container (which has negative impacts on the environment) can be reused and repurposed to actually give back to the situation. I have proposed that the container is shocked with an electrical current, so that limestone crystalises on the surface, making it suitable to be eventually submerged within the river and used as an artificial algae reef, to increase the biodiversity within the estuary. However before it reaches that point, the container will be utilised as an informative gallery space, to exhibit infographics, film, art etc. that educates visitors on the life within our river. 


I have designed the container in two stages. Stage one being above water, alongside the Docklands, to be used as the education gallery and stage two being submerged in water as the artificial algae reef. This increase in primary producers will increase the primary consumers such as bottom feeders and crustaceans, which will, in turn, increase the population of small fish and then aquatic mammals. To visualise this space, I have designed the container within Unity and hope for people to be able to experience this proposal through the use of an oculus rift. This was my first time using a 3D programme, and I enjoyed the challenge of experiencing something new and learning more skills along the way.