Monday 13 March 2017

D Factor design concept

UK garage originated in the early 1990’s as a genre of electronic music; and was a music scene that existed during my childhood. As I was born during the peak of garage, in 1995, I decided to create a garage track using samples, as I wanted to create music inspired by sounds that I appreciate and that would be suitable to be transferred onto a vinyl record (anything that hints more towards pop-culture would have been too modern for it’s purpose). I particularly enjoy Urban music, and so I wanted to follow that, as I appreciate the multi-cultural influences.

In order to make my track recognisable as garage, I used distinctive percussive rhythm, hi-hats and snares - I did also include some beat-skipping kick drums. In order to be entirely truthful to my genre, I incorporated a commonly used feature within garage, pitch-shifted vocal samples that complement the rhythmic structure. 

In order to create this track, I wanted to use DJ style software, as though it was a track being constructed in an underground club in London, there and then. As the 90’s saw the emerge of technology I wanted to use software that exists due to this evolution; thus I decided that I wanted to use an app as opposed to other music production methods. My 2.5 year old brother actually showed me a music making app that he had on his iPad called, LaunchPad. I decided that I wanted to use this, as it was exactly what I was seeking; as you have a selection of samples that you must activate or deactivate while you record the whole track, live. 

I think it’s interesting that in contemporary cultures toddlers now have advanced technological knowledge in comparison to past generations. I wanted to incorporate this ideology within my work, by using the app that is on my toddler-brothers iPad, that he can utilise and actually taught to me. 

Issues that I would like to explore within my design of the record cover and music video include: multi-culturalism, children and technology. I may also like to include nostalgic links between the 90’s and present day, and the London underground scene. 

Link to my song: https://youtu.be/E8oSm1bkcIU


Update:



Hand cut stencil used to hand emboss 300gsm black card