Monday 20 February 2017

Mapping/Coordination

Structural engineers and architects inspired me during my creative response to the coordinations of Greenwich Foot Tunnel.

The mathematical dimensions and technical drawings that feature on blue prints and initial structure designs appealed to me, as upon researching my assigned coordinate I was most interested in the measurements of the tunnel. I discovered the length, width and depth of the tunnel; but also the radius which assisted me when working out the area using π. I could also work out the diameter from this measurement and furthermore the circumference.
I decided to create an infographic that communicates these calculations and well as other information obtained from my research.

Visually, I created an X-ray view of the tunnel, the two entrances and the Thames. Giving you geographical information and also a visual depiction of how the tunnel was built - answering questions such as: how do they build tunnels under the River Thames? (They actually build under the sturdy river bed, not the water). 


I opted for a technical drawing as I wanted my infographic to be clear and legible, while blueprint influences help to give a architectural and structural atmosphere. I initially intended to print my design following the traditional blueprint methods, however stereotypical blueprint(ers) expired in the late 1900’s due to new technologies such as an inkjet printer. Blueprints are now actually whiteprints, and are printed in the way that we
know it today - hence how I have proceeded to finalise my outcome. To aid the effect, my print has to be unrolled, and corners weighted in order to see the design. Making the spectator physically unroll the piece, and embedding it with the desired atmosphere.


Update: I have since expanded this idea by create a tripdict, illustrating Greenwich, Rotherhithe and Woolwich foot tunnels. I have two versions of each: hand lettering and also versions simulating a typewriter.