Saturday 31 May 2014

monthly makeup/beauty review - Haul and best products

Makeup is an art. The cosmetics are your mediums and your skin is the canvas. 


I know my blog is Art & Design based, however I have always considered makeup to be an art form. Creativity within makeup can range from theatrical makeup to daily makeup to makeup for a special event, such as a wedding. Today is the last day of May, so I decided to do a Monthly Makeup review - starting with May. Enjoy the alliteration. Firstly, I will begin by saying that these photographs are not my own and I apologise in advance if there is a product that I mention which you are interested in, but can not get a hold of. Most of my products are drugstore/online products which are not high end - so hopefully these products would be in your price range or even a bargain!

Haul/shopping spree! 


As summer is approaching and England just experienced an amazing heat wave (thank you very much for my tan, sun!) I decided that I need to invest in a primer to hold my makeup in place. I have combination to oily skin, which can get very oily in the t-zone. This often causes my face makeup to slip and slide, to feel all greasy and gross, and also to not last as long as it could.
The primer which I have been eyeing for a while is the Avon Magix Face Perfector with SPF 20. This primer can be worn alone, or under makeup and helps to create a smooth, matt canvas (there is an illuminating version for those who do not want a matt finish or have dryer skin).
When you first squeeze to product out of the packaging, the first thing that you notice is that you require quite a bit of pressure in order for the product to secrete. This is an advantage in my opinion as it ensures that the product will not leak out and you do not waste any. The consistency of the product is quite thick and creamy, with a satin feel. Once you rub the product into the skin, it absorbs/sets straight away - no greasy residue which is always a plus! My hand feels like there isn't any product on my skin what so ever, so this is great for those who want a little bit of perfecting or confidence on their skin, without feel like you're wearing any makeup. I'm not sure sure if this primer is considered makeup or skincare, however it is colourless and the product is white when it comes out of the tube and leaves no colour, shine, glitter or anything behind once you rub it in. There is a slight but pleasant smell to the product.


The second product that I bought is a re-purchase, so kind of a favourite and a haul product! This is the Clinique Sparkle Skin Body Exfoliator. It claims to be 100% fragrance free (meaning that it doesn't contain any perfume) however is does have a fresh, almost minty smell. As this is an exfoliator is 'Exhilarates. Retexturizes. Buffs skin to newfound smoothness." I definitely agree with this as my skin feels so smooth and clean after using this product and ensures that my face makeup applies smoothly. I know that this is a Body Exfoliator, however my facial skin responds well to this product as I feel that it isn't too harsh. However if you have more sensitive skin, this product may scrub at your face to much, and thus would only be suitable for use on your body. After cleansing my skin, I will rub a 10p coin size amount between the tops of my finger tips, and then begin to buff at a wet face using circular motions. I usually concentrate on the t-zone as this is where I have the most problems with my skin, and then work my way towards the outer part of my face. Afterwards, my skin feels much more smooth and polished; I've also noticed that it helps it to look clearer and works well after cleansing and before a face mask, as it removes all the dead skin (due to the microbeads) and so the face mask is able to really get into the pores.


Not too sure how I feel about this product. This is the Clean & Clear Exfoliating Daily Wash. I usually use my Neutrogena face washes (I often change my washes as my skin gets used to them far too quickly, ranging from Garnier to clearasil). I ran out of my
Neutrogena Visibly Clear 2 in 1 Wash and Mask so I had to purchase another. The only problem with this wash is that I prefer a wash which contains microbeads as I feel they work well with my skin (as I get weird bumps on my skin which can easily be picked of as though it's just a build up of dead skin... no idea?!). As I was only in a small local Tesco, this product was all that was available. Personally, the smell is too masculine and 'soapy' for me. I also prefer the wash to have a creamy texture with beads, whereas this is more of a liquid gel formula. I will admit, after using this product, my skin does feel smooth, but so far my acne hasn't responded to the product, and so my skin isn't any clearer. Doubt I will be re-purchasing. 



I always have a problem with lip balms, as often my lipstick (as it's cheap, drugstore shiz) will get into all the flakes on my lips and just look like a great big mess. I don't have dry, cracked lips. If anything they're too soft and so the skin on my lips just peel away. This really irritates me, as my lipstick just looks awful and I'm always biting my lips, peeling the skin off with my teeth. Previously I used the Nivea Pearly Shine lip balm, however I like a pale lips, so I felt that the tint of the balm was too much like my natural lip colour and not pale enough. It also used to get underneath the flakes of my lips. I recently purchased the Nivea Hydro Care which is colour less and has SPF 15. It honestly feels like there is nothing on your lips! It's perfect! It doesn't have an annoying greasy texture or a heavy application which feels like your lips are smothered with crap. It feels lightweight and perfect and my lips definitely feel and look smoother and healthier. As the product is colourless, it is also suitable to be worn under lipstick, so it fixes my lipstick problem. There's a slight odour which smells sweet and it is tasteless.



Favourites/best products!

Like I said, as summer is approaching, I am really hot on SPF, long-lasting, natural feeling makeup and bronzing right now. My favourite skin coverage combination right now is the Garnier Miricale Skin Perfector BB cream range, the Maybelline fit me concealer and a bit of Bronzer on the cheek bones.


I love the BB creame Eye Roll on as it feels like air and it so soothing when you massage it onto the under eye area. I will apply it by rolling the ball over the area and then blending the product in my my finger. Afterwards, my under eyes look brighter and are much more smooth and silky. 
"- Reduces under-eye bags and dark circles- Erases signs of fatigue - Smoothes fine lines- Brightens the eye contour- 24H moistureIt combines the power of Haloxyl with mineral pigments and an ultra-fresh massaging roll-on, for a perfect look immediately."




The BB Cream Combination to Oily Skin is an all over face BB cream. I usually concentrate this on
the centre of my face and then work my way outwards, as the centre is where I want the most coverage. This product has SPF 20 and gives my skin a natural look, while still providing build able coverage.
"- Anti shine
- Blurs pores and imperfections 
- Evens tone and boosts glow
- Moisturises
- SPF 20 UV protection"

The Maybelline Fit Me concealer is definitely a favourite. I always have trouble finding a concealer which can combat my redness, acne, under eye circles and scars, without looking cakey or unnatural. This liquid concealer is perfect for my combination to oily skin (the foundation is a bit too greasy for me) and really does provide decent coverage. I do feel that I need to top up the concealer, however this is without the use of a primer and only being lightly powdered with the Maybelline Fit Me powder. The colour 20 is perfect to use as a highlighter when contouring or to cover dark spots/undereye circles, while 25 is a perfect skin match for me.

A beautiful bronzing set which I have discovered online is by sunkissedbronzing.co.uk. The bronzer and blush is perfect for my olive skin tone and adds a gorgeous sun kissed effect. The bronzer also makes my cheeks look smooth and flawless (even though they are not) and the golden shimmer looks amazing. Not too sure how this would look on lighter skin shades, however it's worth a try and these products are gorgeous! The lip gloss also looks perfect over a baby pink lipstick (I use Miss Sporty 037) and makes you look tanned and glow-y.
Link to buy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunkissed-20374-Sunlight-Bronze/dp/B005552Z2G/ref=pd_bxgy_beauty_img_z