Saturday 10 May 2014

Don't give up!

Quick update: I GOT IN GUYS!!!!!!!

Hello. On the 8th May I had an interview at one of the University of The Arts (UAL) colleges, London College of Communication (LCC). It was an interview for the Foundation Diploma in Art & Design (I have previously written a blog about the foundation course) and I really hope that I get accepted!

Unfortunately, I originally applied for the UAL college, Central Saint Martins (CSM) but I didn't get accepted as they marked my portfolio and you need 18 points out of the 5 categories to be accepted - I got 17. I missed getting into one of the TOP art schools in the world but 1 POINT! You can imagine my disappointment - oh yeah, they didn't meet me either; I literally just dropped off my portfolio so that they can look through it while I was hanging around in London, and then go back and pick it up. I really wish they had met me, as then I could have possibly made up that 1 point as I got 3/5 in the category 'Evidence of interest in Art & Design'. By meeting me in person I'm sure that category would have got more points and I would have got in!

Anyway, so I wasn't accepted to UAL - CSM. I didn't give up. I think that's key within ANY competitive field. You can not give up, you need to have bags of ambition, passion, confidence, persistence, knowledge and talent to succeed; well that's what I believe anyway.

So I didn't give up. I carried on emailing CSM incase there were any spaces available after students had either accepted or declined their offer from CSM, once again unfortunately there were zero spaces. As UAL has 6 different colleges I decided to look at them all, just so that I could make a choice for when I apply next year. However, thank the lord of Art & Design, UAL - LCC were still interviewing and accepting students! As you can imaging I immediately filled out the application and applied. Within a few days they responded and I had an interview/portfolio review on 8th May.

I'm so glad that I didn't give up. I don't yet know my outcome for applying to LCC but regardless, I'm proud of myself for trying again. If I don't get in this year, I will be sure to apply again next year. I will not give up. I've always wanted to be a student at UAL since I was 13 and I'm not going to give up that dream. It may take longer than some other Art & Design students, but regardless, I'm sure that I will keep pursuing my dreams and I will be accepted.
I receive my outcome on Wednesday/Thursday 14th/15th May. I just hope they can see that even though CSM knocked me back, I kept pushing through and found an alternative route to make it to my destination.
As long as I keep working hard and do not give up I know that I will get there - even if it is in 4-5years time for my MA degree!

Keep fighting for the things you want in life, and even if you don't make it, you'll have still made it one step closer. 

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"